Duration: 3 months
Starting date: 9th March 2019
Date and time: Every Saturday 01.00 pm to 04.00 pm
Payment option: Clients who willing to pay from our office can pay course fee from 5000 LKR per month basis
Senior Certificate Course in Astrophysics
ASTR 410-Basic Astrophysics II 3 weeks, 3hr per week
• Newton’s Laws of Gravitation,
• Kepler’s Laws for circular and non-circular orbits, Roche limit
• The electromagnetic spectrum, Radiation Laws, Blackbody radiation, Doppler Effect, Basic concepts including the structure of an atom.
• UBV Filters.
ASTR 420-Coordinates and Times, 2eeks, 3hr per week
• Spherical trigonometry, Celestial coordinates and their applications, Equinox and Solstice, Circumpolar stars, Constellations and Zodiac
• Solar time, Sidereal time, Julian date, Time zone, Universal Time, Local Mean Time
ASTR 422 & 423-Telescopes and CCDs, 2weeks, 3hr per week
• Telescope aberrations, useful equations related to telescopes, how to mount a telescope and to use different types of an eyepiece, Barlow lenses, focal reducers, coma correctors, Field of views of eyepieces. Observation related exercises.
• What is CCD and CMOS, CCD resolution, CCD pixel size, Senor Size, CCD related exercise.
• Solar Observation with Coronado Solar MAX II 60 mm double-stack solar telescope (Finest solar telescope in Sri Lanka)
ASTR 431-Star formation and Stellar Systems, 3 weeks, 3hr per week
• In this course, students will be able to study basic theories of star formation- nebulae, the birth of a star, main sequence stars, final stages of stars, types of stars (population and clusters) and H-R diagram. Astrophysics background of stars are discussed in this unit and mathematical theories of star formation will be discussed in this course.
• Binary stars and variable stars: - Light curve methods, types of variables stars, types of Binary stars
• Galaxies: - Introduction for galaxies, Structure of a galaxy and properties, Types of galaxies( Hubble’s tuning fork model), galaxy formation and evolution, motion of galaxy( Hubble law and great attractive), measuring mass of galaxy using rotation curve), spiral arm formation of galaxy, observed galaxies, milky way, galaxy clusters, distance galaxies( quasars and blazars)
ASTR 430- Cosmology II, 2 weeks, 3hr per week
• Expanding Universe and Hubble’s Law, Cluster of galaxies, Dark matter, Dark energy (Q), Gravitational lensing, Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation, Big Bang (Q), Alternative models of the Universe (Q), Large scale structure (Q), Distance measurement at cosmological scale, cosmological redshift